Thursday, September 17, 2009

Blog #3 Montaggne and Orwell

Montaigne makes a statement with his title, then builds off that subject. His style as I see it was to use historial examples in his essay to support his view on death. This style of writing can be very effective to a certain degree. Like in Montaigne's I feel he used too much history because I didn't reaaly get his point or the main idea until I was nearly done reading. But on the other hand that could have beeen his whole format.
In the story of the shooting of the elephant, Orwell used first person accounts of an event to show what I believe is a hiden meaning. That point was to really examine the relation between the European and the natives of Burma. At first I felt like the story was about a police man who hated his job ,but that was the precursor to the main plot. And then I totally saw the contrast when he got to the spot where the elephant appeared.
Both these essays are comtemporary creative writing to me, because they use other people's stories to illustrate one individual idea or experiences which is the whole purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment