Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Blog #22 Silk Road

This venue is not one I would strongly recommend for the class. But I would suggest this magazine for young writers. Silk Road is a magazine for the freedom writer, what I mean is that this is a venue for expression of thought. The types of writing you will find here are fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and translation. They also like pieces set in locations. They have a blog and they interview writers and authors too.

History
I couldn’t find that much information on the start of the magazine but I did figure out that it had to start in 2005, because their first issue went out in 2006. The location of this magazine is at the Pacific University in Oregon. This is where they started their commitment to publishing writers from anywhere of any age.

Example of Pieces:
I read three pieces two poems and one essay. The first poem was entitled, “Cinnamon”, it was how a young poet described the spice as he remembered it and what it was used for on this island. After reading it I couldn’t help feeling that there was a hidden meaning of homesick like he was from that island and missing the smell of the spice. The next poem I read was entitled “the Sanguine Earth”, this was about painting a picture of scene someone went through but I really didn’t get it until I read the acknowledgement at the bottom. The last piece I looked at was an essay entitled, “My Last Horse”, this was about this girls love of horses and how they are now unappreciated there a sub-story of a couple who falls in love on the ranch she talking about. Every piece I read gave me a feeling of different points of view but they had one thing in common with my writing which is each writer used symbolism just like me.

Submission guidelines
• You first have to enclose a two paragraph cover letter
• They except Prose entries which include: fiction, non-fiction, and memoirs but they can’t be more than 20 pages long typed double –space at a 12-point font
• If you submit Poetry it should be typed single-spaced and you can’t submit no more than 5 poems
• Also your submission should be in a DOC or RTF file
They accept submissions from August 1st to May 1st
There are two issues put out a year in the spring and the fall

You can submit via online to:
http://www.silkroadreview.org/submissions

Or send it to:
Silk Road Review
Pacific University
UC Box A119
2043 College Way
Forest Grove, Oregon 97116

No comments:

Post a Comment